Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sam’s Agile Application. MP & ANT


Sam’s Agile Application.

First thing I needed to decide was whether how many hours from my day life I would be able to spend after this application (Along with my busy schedule at office)?

I just realized not more than 2 and not less than 1. So there it goes.

Microsoft Project

I installed Microsoft Project today. Just going through estimation of chapters. I like the some of its features like

1. Creating project based on your own calendar. In my case I needed something just like that. My working times are not as per some office times so it allowed me to properly estimate them based on hours.

2. Other feature is Task and subtasks dependency. I can directly drag and drop task behind each other to set them up in proper order.

I still need to see some of the areas where I can use in it pair programming and how it helps in assigning project task to different people. Because on that bases only I can estimate task for team. Right now with only one member in project (that me) it was easy to finish of the Project estimation phase. But believe me it wasn’t that easy as it sounds here. Even Microsoft was bad at documenting every aspect of project. I find its Help content very poor. Ya but I won’t be better person to judge it here.

Anyways moving along.

ANT

I started working with Ant. I have eclipse IDE which comes with in built support for Ant features. But as I wanted to avoid the ready made programming with IDE for time being. I installed Ant on my PC. Things went well, especially documentation. I read through some of its basic tutorial pages. After messing with my Environment variable and PATH variable I finally managed to run in from my application folder. I created a simple java file and was able to build it as jar at the end of the day.

I wonder what it would have been without Ant before rise of IDEs. Believe me it would have been chaos. Ant makes life a simple. I remember my organization using this Ant build file when I was new to IT world. Still I’ve not created build.xml file on my own. My tomorrow’s target would be to create one which builds and application for me.

No comments: